Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Today's Quilt Top

As the heart blocks arrive, I sort them into categories - boys, girls, red, purple, green, blue, yellow & orange, and black/brown/multicoloured. Then I sort out 60 of each category, with a couple of spares, put them into plastic bags and label them, so that when I get a volunteer who will sew a top together, they're all ready to go.

Some of the blocks I've received are harder to place than others, especially when there are a large number that are all the same or they're made to an unusual design. I decided to make a quilt with repeated blocks, instead of aiming to have all the blocks different, and include some of the unusual ones. I was able to find quite a few pink and red ones but not enough. Then I remembered that 2 people had send in hearts of black fabric with small hearts on it, so I added those. The border fabric is red with black and white circles, which seemed to match. I'm pretty happy with the result, so I'll sandwich and quilt this once I finish the blue one.

3 comments:

Narelle said...

I think it's very clever how you've added the 10 black hearts to this quilt. I love the all over look.
It's nice to be able to see the quilts coming together.

Rochelle said...

Hi Shirley,

I just wanted to stop by and say Thank You for all you have done and encourage you. You are a beautiful lady with an incredibly generous heart. I can completely understand how you could become overwhelmed but just remember to take care of you. You have my encouragement and I'm sure you have that of the hundreds or thousands of other people who are sending you blocks and or quilts.
A huge thanks to the people who are assembling the quilts also and anyone else involved in this massive task. You are all champions.
Have a fabulous week and a wonderful Christmas.

Ali Honey said...

Dear Shirley,
I can see you could easily become lost under the pile of quilts or mountain of hearts or even the mail each day. We don't want that happening. As I asked ladies in our group( 100 ) to make hearts I am now collecting them and will get something done with them at this end. ( North Island )
I will find out what they want to do with them. We are at the moment making Canteen bandanna quilts ( for Canteen ) so might decide to use them with the bandannas in some way.
Please look after yourself , we don't want you getting sick from overwork. We in Tauranga all send you our very Best Wishes. Ali.