Sunday, November 01, 2009

November and The Red Quilt

Unbelieveable! It's November already! Here's a collage of some more late spring flowers. I love paeony flowers - especially the deep crimson ones- but this salmon-coloured one is gorgeous too.
To my surprise, I've found myself reverting to my first love in quilts - big bold patterns and lush colours. I've spent quite a bit of time dabbling in different art quilting techniques and making all sorts of fabric , but have never been able to settle on a "style".

Perhaps I've recognised that my talent doesn't lie in inventing art quilts but in the use of colour. This is what I really enjoy - mixing my hand dyes with lovely commercial designs. Surprisingly, I also love quite simple quilt patterns too - above is the middle of a medallion quilt (Knot Garden Quilt from Kaffe Fassett's book "Country Garden Quilts") which I've simply called "The Red Quilt". Okay, there's a yellow border in there, but I felt it needed a bit of contrast. Naturally, my quilt looks nothing like the original.

Sometimes it's nice to let someone else do all the hard work designing a pattern. More on The Red Quilt as I work through all the borders.

4 comments:

loulee said...

Wow! That's bright.
Hmm, guess who is in Timaru? We arrived on Monday!

Marcie said...

Looking good so far - love all those reds!

Julie said...

Gorgeous summery quilt!

Anonymous said...

Gosh that's so pretty!