Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hanging on in there

Thank you so much for your good wishes. I'm not very good at enforced idleness, and the worst thing about this sort of bug is that you don't feel like doing ANYTHING. However, I've been reading, watching TV, doing a bit of knitting and even managing to do some painting on the other monoprints. I don't think these will look as good as the first one, as some have a lot more dye and less white space to fill, but I'm going to complete them anyway.
Also I've rethought the Naked Men a couple of times, and at last I'm pinning down how to finish these. I've always wanted to call this set "Comfortably Numb" after the Pink Floyd song - maybe it's the rhyming of "numb" and "bum" here? I'm not sure. Anyway, I've printed some of the lyrics onto 3 of the pieces, in a light grey as a shadow and then again in a darker grey. You'll need to click on the photo for a closer look - I intend that the words are soft and in the background so they don't show up sharply.

So now I think I'll just do some minimal quilting and complete this. Not today though - it's over 30 degrees Celsius today and far too hot to be upstairs even now, approaching 6pm. Another day.

5 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I'm so sorry you are feeling poorly Shirley. But after seeing today's post there's hope for you yet!
I've always loved your naked men and I look forward to seeing them used. The work on the top is lovely. what is the technique you used there?

Diane Doran said...

Shirley, I really like how the words are so subtle - it keeps the focus on the men but adds nice texture.

Ali Honey said...

Do be careful where you put the pins!

Anonymous said...

I think the naked men would look great done up as panels in a vest.

Sheila said...

Comfortably numb.....hmmmmm. Good name. Do you think the model was comfortably numb or maybe a little chilly. :)