Thursday, April 12, 2007

Warning - more cute animal photos


After my earlier post, I found the twins doing a mirror image thing on the settee. (well, slightly askew). That's my "bizarre stars" quilt you can see behind them.

Here it is in more detail for those readers who haven't seen it before. It's heavily quilted, except for the stars themselves, which are outlined in an untraditional way with zigzag stitch. The rest of it is quilted with many different coloured threads in a star design. Click on the photo to see more detail.



I made it out of some of my more unusual (ok, ugly even) hand dyed fabric. I was thinking of using it for a class to demonstate how to make a quilt that isn't just the usual blocks-inside-a-border style for those beginner quilters who feel unable to easily step outside following a pattern strictly, but I have never followed through with that class.

In this quilt, I've taken the border elements (the wedge-shaped pieced areas) and put them inside the quilt, rather than around the outside of the star blocks as a border.

9 comments:

Ali Honey said...

I like it! The stars have a fly away quality and some of the quilting gives a crazed effect like it's really old glass. It portrays freedom!

artmixter said...

Nice quilt. Cool dogs. What more could you want?

Joyce said...

I love the quilt. Hand dyes are so excellent in quilts. The twins are a handsome pair!

Anonymous said...

How adorable. And your quilt is gorgeous!

Marie said...

Now that is a quilt I really like! I have quilts, I appreciate the work/design put into them...but your star quilt is not only unique but wonderful to look at. I love color!

Barbara said...

Like a rainbow! I like the colours!

Nellie's Needles said...

Wonderful quilt! Some of those were considered ugly? There are no ugly fabrics nor ugly colors, but there can be ugly combinations. This is a beautiful combination ... speaking of both the quilt and the poodles.

Anonymous said...

Shirley,

I can't believe you left the poodles white. I fully expected to see them dyed in dazzling swirls of color. : )

Deb Hardman said...

It's very cute! I love things that are free form & fun!

BTW, I ended up buying 2 books from the above posting! I have a friend in Michigan, who has a wealthy African-American friend Philanthropist. I'm going to send one to her. Who knows where it might lead!