Sunday, April 22, 2007

Recycling and felting

In a previous life, this was a bright turquoise jersey that I rescued from the op shop. It's also my first try at felting in the washing machine. Technically, I know this is actually "fulling" but the end result is felt, and everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "felting", so this is what I'm calling it.

It has felted up beautifully, and I now plan to turn it into an embellished bag, with one of sleeves becoming a flap to come over where the front placket was.

This morning, I have cut apart another 6 or 7 wool jerseys. Some may work, others may not - you can't always rely on the tags, and you don't actually know what's in hand knits.

Watch this space!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Françoise said...

Mmm... I can't wait to see this bag.

Anonymous said...

A lot of my creatures are made from recycled, felted sweaters. It's wonderful material to work with.