Sunday, April 01, 2007

The blind sewing machine


My quilting friend Sue-Ellen has been staying this weekend. She arrived on Friday, the same day as my new new embellisher. She described it as looking like "a blind sewing machine" because it has no dials or levers or thread holders or ANYTHING on the front.

Sue-Ellen has had a bit of a play with it (but I haven't yet) while I was finishing off this wee shawl. It's hand painted of course - I was really just trying to get my new Navy wool dye to come out the right colour for my swatches, and threw in some other new colours - Poppy Red, Raspberry and Violet. Or maybe it was Brilliant Violet. Anyway, a very err......... unusual mix of colours, shall we say.

I wanted to see how much shawl I could knit out of just one 50 gram ball (that's just under 2 ounces for non-metric readers) of 4 ply (umm.....fingering? - this is baby wool, if that helps) and this is the result, which is quite wearable once it's blocked.

This is a very, very simple lacy pattern, the first lace I've actually ever knitted, so it's ideal for beginners. It's just 3 rows of garter stitch, followed by a row on doing yarn overs (which makes the holes) and knitting 2 stitches together. You cast on 3 stitches, then increase 1 stitch at the beginning of every row while doing this pattern, then cast off when you think you're about to run out of wool. That's it really.

You can click on the photo to see the pattern in more detail

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Love the yarn in the shawl! What a pretty color combination.

Ali Honey said...

Mmmm I like the colours too.
Hopefully it means your new machine will have very little to go wrong with it and be simple and straight forward to use..... keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

The blind sewing machine, how apt! That shawl is so pretty and so economical. Thank you for sharing the pattern. :)

Rayna said...

beautiful, Shirley. Just right for this can't-make-up-its-mind weather we're having here. Why don't you just send it over?
Seriously, enjoy it!